Monday, July 02, 2007

Reminders

Well, if you have read my blog for any length of time, you're probably not surprised that I am wishy-washy about, well, everything. After tracking calories on Spark People *and* Fitday, I realized that WW points just feel a lot easier & more intuitive to track. And I still have my eTools account. So, you know what? I am going to track what I eat in terms of Points.

I don't know exactly what I feel towards Weight Watchers. I mean, it never really failed, it was I who failed. And looking back at my past menus, it seems fairly obvious that my struggles were directly connected to the amount of sugar I was consuming. As my meals became more and more supplemented with 100-calorie packs and fat free puddings and Edy's Slow Churned ice cream and maple syrup on everything...yeah I might have technically been "OP" but I was lowering my resolve, eating things that never left me satisfied, things that only ever left me wanting more and more and more.

I don't know why I sabotage myself so much. It just feels good to overeat, I'm not going to lie. A lot of people say they get disgusted with themselves right after they overeat - but not me. I feel good, almost high. It makes me really happy. Yes, when I am upset about my weight I wind up regretting all the overeating, but I just have trouble controlling my impulses and my overwhelming desire for instant gratification, instant comfort.

I think what is really missing from my life is some sort of reminder that occurs when I start to sabotage myself. Because I don't think. I don't contemplate the repercussions or the alternatives. I don't remember to ask myself what I *really* need, or what else would make me feel good or comforted. With me, eating is fast. I can go from desire to eat to finding something appealing to eat to devouring it in no time flat. I want what I want and I'm not likely to open the fridge and say "Hmm, what is a good choice?" It's more like "Mmm, peanut butter!" and then the jar is half gone.

I know anchoring is a WW tool to remind yourself of your past successes to keep you inspired to stay on track, blah blah blah, but again, I can have an anchor, but if I don't remember to ponder it, what's the point?

I can hang stuff up, signs and whatnot, but human beings are very good at blocking out things they are used to seeing and don't really want to see. A shock collar might work, but I think that might be frowned upon in public. Maybe it is just something I need to consciously work on and practice. Pausing and thinking before choosing a meal or snack. Just getting into that habit would be a success, even if sometimes I still choose the less healthy choice.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Hope WW is helping you. I have been doing Flex for the past 18 months and it is the first time I have been able to stick with a food plan for so long. There are a lot of us bloggers following flex and I find reading other posts and journaling my own experiences have been really helpful. Good luck.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home