Thursday, July 05, 2007

Old Navy Disappointment

Tuesday after work, I was extremely psyched because not only did I have the rest of the week off, but I had received an e-mail from Old Navy showing off some really fabulous-looking jeans that came in Women's Plus! Classic rise, wide leg, dark rinse...heaven! So I was very jazzed to take off after work and check these babies out in person so I could see what size fit me and, you know, buy some.

Imagine my surprise when the Old Navy in Nashua, NH - which I have been to many times and enjoyed their Women's Plus section, and which is STILL listed on Old Navy's online Store Locator as carrying Women's Plus - no longer had a Women's Plus section. They did have a Women's Plus sign. The Women's Plus sign was placed above 3 racks of clothes. 2 and a half of those racks carried regular women's clearance merch. The other half rack carried out of season Women's Plus leftovers and returns.

I figured this had to be a mistake, that these jeans I wanted so badly were just hidden somewhere, so I asked a salesperson. She pointed me back towards the half-rack of crap. I said that it wasn't really a Women's Plus section, and she just said "Well, that's all we have."

I don't know why this hit me as hard as it did. But seeing throngs of other people happily shopping and grabbing clothes, and realizing that I couldn't do the same thing because I'm fat and thus clearly worthless...I managed to hold off crying until I got in my car. Then I started bawling and bawled the whole ride home. And then I crawled into bed and bawled some more and slept for the rest of the afternoon. And it pisses me off to admit it, but I still feel totally upset over the whole thing.

I have to admit, I have been feeling EXTREMELY down on myself lately & my inability to control my weight. I talked to my new doctor about this last month, and she said she could prescribe me some Xenical if I wanted it. Which I really don't. And I've been doing a lot of soul searching and deep thinking and all I can come up with right now is negativity and self loathing.

So pardon me if I decide to try & boost my spirits and self image by buying some clothes that might fit nicely. Pardon me for wanting to try them on in person, like any normal person would. Pardon me for thinking that the days when fat chicks had to order their clothes via catalog/mail order exclusively were over. Pardon me for wanting to spend money at your fucking store.

I could order them online, but I'm not. It's hard not to, because they look really awesome and like the exact jeans I have been looking for. But I'm angry. And I think I have a right to be. I'll give my money to Lane Bryant, who is willing to cater to me in the flesh instead of solely over the Internet...who will let me try on clothes and window shop and browse. I'll give my money to The Avenue for the same reasons. And should I finally reach my goal weight and cast plus sizes aside, I will shop at stores owned by the parent companies of LB & Avenue, and not at Old Navy, the Gap, Banana Republic, or Piper Lime.

Because FUCK THEM, that's why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home