Friday, February 09, 2007

WI Friday

Today I went to my WW meeting, first thing in the morning before work, as I usually try to do. This past week, my emphasis has been on avoiding sugar, and trying to identify the difference between cravings and hunger and try to only eat due to the latter. I did not do a good job of watching portions and counting Points ... I didn't even really try to count points, I was just trying to get started on eliminating sugar from my diet.

So when I went to my WI this morning, I was thoroughly surprised and delighted to have been down 2.6 lbs!

Of course there are many possible reasons for this. Last week I was PMS-ing, so that could have caused me to be up last week, thus helping in my sharp drop this week. Also, I am sure there is a good calorie reduction when you start replacing whole grains, fresh fruit & low fat dairy for muffins and cookies.

Anyway ... I'm trying to not think ahead to next week too much. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing but with more of a focus on portion control. One minute, One hour, One day at a time. I am not going to eat refined sugar today. I can do it for today. The shadow of the thought of how I can do this indefinitely keeps sneaking into my mind. I need to push it aside and focus on today though. The future is too scary and unpredictable, and it just makes me doubt myself. I can't afford that doubt right now!

I'm thinking I might need to do a 1 or 2 week detox from all refined carbs as well. That seems like it would be tough, but possible, and maybe enlightening to see how I feel after doing that for a few days. I will think about that and try to cut down on the refined carbs a bit more this week. I find that I get the most refined carbs at lunchtime from eating Lean Cuisines. But I don't know any lunches that I like that would be equally easy for me to bring every day. For now they aren't a huge problem, so maybe I will just try to pick the ones that aren't as carb-based like the pizzas, paninis, and pastas (you know, the ones that I like the best). Hmmm...maybe that is the reason I like them best, after all.

At any rate, I am feeling good about my progress this week, and about how I have been eating. I have replaced a lot of empty calories with more nutritious snacks - mostly raw almonds, fresh fruit, lowfat cottage cheese, and whole grain, unsweetened cereals. And I have been drinking a lot of water as well. Obviously that's always a good thing.

I'm also trying to avoid fake sweeteners as well. I've read a few places that they still trigger the same cravings that sugar does, and I don't really think they are that great for you. It's hard because I've been in the habit of putting Splenda or Sweet'n'Low in my coffee, and ordering Diet Cokes in restaurants, but in the long run I think that it will be a lot better for me to avoid it when possible. I may try Stevia for my coffee, but I'm stupidly afraid to try it. Why? I don't know. I think I heard once that it tastes like licorice and that a lot of people don't really like it. But I suppose the only way to find out if I will like it is to buy a box and try it. One brand in the health food section of my supermarket carries packets of it, which would be perfect for coffee purposes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Weight Master said...

Whatever the reason, congrats on the loss. Don't forget to get plenty of exercise also. Eating right will only carry you so far.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home