Friday, February 02, 2007

Fresh New Day, Fresh New Week

I am glad I went to my meeting this morning, even though I knew I had gained before I even walked in the door. I had only gained .25 lbs, which is really nothing to cry too much about considering how awful my week had been after the weekend.

But I love my WW leader - I am so glad I switched to Friday morning meetings - and the group that attends. It feels like a good way to kick off a fresh WW week. Whether the last week was bad or good, it's a new start, a clean slate. The past doesn't matter. All that matters is the present.

One guy in my WW meeting has lost 120+ lbs. He said today that the way he keeps going is to treat every single day like a fresh start - that way if he has one day of struggling, he can put it behind him the very next day. A lot of people in the meeting, even the lifetimers (and there are several) mentioned that they sometimes have weeks where they are OP for 3 days and struggle for the other 4. That it happens to everyone now and then and that they just have to give themselves a fresh start when they can.

I guess it's obvious, but it's helpful to me to be reminded to forgive myself for not being perfect - and for sometimes being downright terrible dietwise - and to just move on, accept my current state, and do what I can TODAY and THIS WEEK to make it better than YESTERDAY or LAST WEEK.

I have several things I want to work on to make my habits better, so I'm going to list what I can think of below. I don't know if I can reasonably expect myself to take it all on in one week though, since it's a drastic change from my current habits.

- Journal more - writing down all my meals including when I'm not OP
- Exercise more - WATP or elliptical trainer after work
- Cook more - Prepare healthy meals at home instead of relying so much on takeout
- Vitamins - Take a daily multivitamin
- Get more sleep - Well-rested Shrinky is a Shrinky that can make better choices
- Drink more water - I feel like this is becoming a problem for the first time
- More fruits & veggies - I can't remember eating vegetables this week :-/

My priorities for this week are:

- Drinking more water
- Journalling more
- Getting more sleep

So...I feel ready to make today great! For lunch I am going to a Chinese/Japanese buffet. I have a craving for sushi, so my plan is to stick to sushi, green beans (they have these yummy spicy ones), fruit & 2 dumplings. My afternoon snack is a banana and a handful of almonds. I don't know yet what to do for dinner. My husband will be at a poker game, so I might just get a Lean Cuisine pizza for myself.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i think the whole 'forget the past and move on' can be applied to lots of things, not just weightloss... but its harder to do when trying to lose weight because starting over is so hard (esp. when you've restarted 100+ times)... i've learned the more you try, the more new things you learn about yourself, and that's always a good thing...

have a nice weekend... :o)

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great lesson to learn. It took me awhile to realize that just because I may have a bad day of eating, that doesn't mean I can make an excuse for myself to keep going on like that since I already "ruined the whole week". Oh I am my own worst enabler ;)

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the insight about a fresh start. And I realized that every minute can be a fresh start. We don't even have to wait till the next day. Good for you and your great intentions for the week.

Cheers, Judi

12:08 AM  
Blogger BigAssBelle said...

oh NO!!!! i was supposed to drink WATER TODAY!!! i almost forgot!!

where they are OP for 3 days and struggle for the other 4. That it happens to everyone now and then and that they just have to give themselves a fresh start when they can. with me, this becomes habitual. i see how far i can push it. can i eat 2 days? 3 days? maybe even 5? then starve the other two and STILL make a good weigh in? this is particularly a pattern when maintaining. crazy, crazy. it seems like i whack this thing into submission and it just pops out somewhere else :-)

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home